Sunday, January 15, 2012

dos semanas

It's hard to believe that tomorrow marks two weeks since I arrived here in Guatemala!  It has been exactly one week since I arrived here in Xela, but it feels like I've been here forever (in a good way!)  In heavier news today I learned of my Grandma Kathleen Dahl's passing, and it's hard not to be with my family right now.  However, both my grandma and grandpa always told me to study hard - and that is exactly what I am doing here in Xela so I feel as though it will be a good way to remember her.  Love to all of my family!

Monday marked our first day of school at Celas Maya.  Each student is paired with a tutor one-on-one for five hours each day.  Mi maestra Miriam is a very nice woman but very challenging.  After the first day of class my brain felt so fried!  In addition to hours upon hours of grammar practice, I am studying the Guatemalan civil war, Mayan history and culture, and getting to know the streets of Xela.  On Friday my teacher brought me around and told me which streets I was allowed to walk on and which ones I was not (note to self: avoid 5a Calle at all costs).  Celas Maya also has an activity each day of the week, and last week I took advantage of a trip to the first church in Central America (blanking on the name right now - oops), las Fuentes Georginas (natural hot springs in a volcano), and el Volcan de Chicabal.  Climbing my second volcano was an even bigger struggle than the first.  My sister told me that the volcano was very mild, but it was clear from the beginning that mild was just a nice way of saying extremely difficult.  I think we hiked uphill both ways.  The cool thing about this volcano is that there is a lake at the top.  This lake is very sacred to the Mayans and there are altars all around it.  The view was nice so I was glad I did it, but I think I will give volcano climbing a rest for awhile and explore other aspects of Guatemala.

As promised, here are a few photos from the past two weeks:





First volcano climb!

Kirsti and me with Jesika and her lovely family!

 First ocean sunset!

First church in Central America.

Another week of class begins tomorrow.  I am excited to discover new places and new faces here in Xela - my new home!  Thanks to everyone for the support and prayers. 

Un abrazo,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! Sounds like you're having an incredible adventure :)

    ReplyDelete