Sunday, January 8, 2012

Las aventuras de blanca nieves

What a week it has been!  I cannot believe that I have been in Guatemala for almost a week now.  This past week I had the BEST time with Jesika and her family and friends.  Everyone was so welcoming and I got to experience so many things in Guatemala in such a short amount of time.

On our first full day in the city we went to a museum, lunch, and the zoo!  It was a lot of fun and a very interesting day getting used to the driving in Guatemala.  On Wednesday we went with a group of Jesika's friends to climb el Volcan Pacaya (volcano).  It was such a fun experience but definitely a stuggle because let's just say that exercise is not my forte.  The climb was intense, but the views going up and the time spent listening to all the spanish being spoken was well worth it.  There was no lava flowing because the volcano errupted a few years past I believe, but nonetheless we were able to roast marshmellows under some very hot rocks!  On Thursday we travelled with a larger group of friends to Antigua, where we walked around, went to a market (I bought a great bag for 55Q), ate food, and had a good time.  We stayed at a hostel called El Gato Negro and we can just say that it was an experience itself.  I can´t wait to return there.  The next morning, Friday, we headed to the beach in Puerto San Jose.  It was about an hour and a half from Antigua to Katarina´s beach house (friend of Jesika).  The six of us who went drove around on four wheelers on the beach, sat by the pool, and then went swimming in the ocean.  It was an incredible time as it was my first time seeing the ocean and swimming in it!  At the pool is where I was given the nickname blanca nieves (snow white) because my skin was literally glowing...not even a few hours of sun could help me.  After watching a beautiful sunset on the beach and taking a million pictures we went home.  Saturday morning we toured el Palacio Nacional de Cultura (The National Palace), el Catedral (Cathedral), and walked around the park a bit with Katarina and her mom who was our guide.

Finally we met up with our group after enjoying a delicious lunch at Jeka´s house with her whole family.  I was sad to say goodbye to Jesika and her family and friends but excited to meet up with the group. When we finally said goodbye at the airport and I started feeling more nervous as we boarded the bus to meet our families in Xela.  After a long bus ride through the mountains we arrived at Celas Mayas at 9:30.  My mom Carmen spotted me and after a semi awkward introduction it was into the car and to the house.  Carmen, her daughter Maria Jose and her boyfriend Samuel talked with me for awhile in the kitchen and then I got settled into my room.  My family and my house are great - I already feel at home.  As of now I am in my school Celas Mayas.  Today we had a big breakfast with everyone, host moms, and our first instructors at the school.  My first tutor is Miriam.  We then spent a little time wandering around and I got lost about 100 times.  We tried finding our houses from the school, and luckily I just stumbled upon mine after about an hour.  We all are a little confused but it's fun and exciting.  The maps don´t actually help...

Tomorrow we start school at 8am...can´t wait!  I think my sister asked me if I wanted to go to a chocolate store later with her, but not 100% sure.  I am excited to get to know both of them better, spend time in the city, and improve my spanish!  I talk way too much to my family but they are so understanding and patient.  I hope to post pictures soon once I get them uploaded to my laptop and I get settled into a routine.  Until then!

Un abrazo,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment