Besides cleaning flooded bathrooms and climbing volcanoes, here is a slice of my Guatemalan life:
Food: I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the food here. I was actually surprised only once when for lunch my sister told me that the mystery meat looking thing was cow tongue. I laughed but they all looked at me with a serious face so then I got serious too. COW TONGUE? Ummmm what... no one warned me about that. I didn't want to be offensive so yes, I dug right in and ate myself a tongue... of a cow... Ok so I ate one little piece and then politely said that I didn't like the flavor. They smiled and giggled when I told them I didn't want to eat it because I was picturing the tongue still in the cow's mouth. Besides that though I have been eating a lot of corn tortillas, rice, cooked chicken, vegetables, fruit, and for breakfast - CHOCO KRISPIES! Still getting used to powdered milk, tortillas with every meal (and I mean every meal) , and drinking tea but overall I am loving the comida. This past week I was introduced to chocobananos (frozen banana dipped in chocolate) so yeah... NOM.
el Doctor: On Wednesday my ailing stomach got the best of me and I got to experience el doctor. My teacher and the director of the program came with me to the tiny office where I was examined right away by Dr. Luis. He discovered that the flora of my body?? was off so he prescribed me a probiotic, I hopped over to the pharmacy, and was on my way. To be honest I have no idea what is actually wrong with me but I feel a lot better thanks to my new medicine and special diet I am on that my family takes VERY seriously. I can't eat chocolate, milk products, any greasy food, or eggs. Needless to say we have all been eating very healthy here on 16 Avenida.
House and Family: I know I already mentioned this but I LOVE MY FAMILY! I live with my mom and two sisters ages 22 and 25. They are so nice to me, help me with anything and everything, and are so fun to hang out with and talk to. I also have another host sister who is married and has a 3 year old girl and 6 year old boy who are the cutest people ever! I love pretending to be an aunt - it's fun :) My house is super bueno. My room is so cozy, and every night I fall asleep to dog fights on the street and someone yelling on the pay phone that is right outside my window. It is quite entertaining and it really doesn't bother me at all. I don't know why I am surprised, but I just feel so comfortable and right at home here.
Miscellaneous: Fireworks. 7am. Normal. OK? So the first time this happened I was semi concerned but after spending morning after morning hearing the booms I have come to accept that early morning is a perfectly decent time to set off fireworks. 12 noon? Sounds good too. 10pm. Here we go! Any hour of the day really is prime firework time. No questions asked. I am finding it difficult to sit for 5 hours straight at school, even though my teacher is entertaining and I am learning a lot. We have switched it up a bit lately and she has allowed for some movement. Today we walked to La Democracia, basically a large outdoor market area, where we walked around and I bought a cookie for myself and banana bread to share with my family at a super delicious bakery called El Bake Shop - que rico! Otherwise, we have found other really great places with a good atmosphere and delicious drinks. Current favorites include el Artesano for delicious vegetarian sandwiches and even more delicious chip dipping sauce (not really sure what it is but it is SOOOO good), el Cuartito for an amazing chocolately-frappe thingy, Smoothies Rum for, well, a smoothie with rum, and the classic Xelapan for a quick treat during break. There are many more places I am excited to try out as well!
Here are a few more pictures to admire:
My room
View climbing volcano number two.
Laguna de Chicabal - lake at the top of the volcano.
Happy volcano climbers!
This weekend I look forward to exploring more of Xela and relaxing. Sunday I believe I am going to go with my family to my mother's pueblo to meet the extended fam. No tarea this weekend - woohoooo! Smoothies Rum here I come ;)
Un abrazo,
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment