Tuesday, November 5, 2013

If I paged back far enough, I think I would find a blog titled the Little Things from when I was in Guatemala.  Well, turns out whether it's Xela, Minnesota, or Miami, sometimes the little things really are the most important.  And I find myself grasping for any little thing to get me through when I'm having a stressful moment or long day.  Truthfully, my 'job' is probably the most challenging and stressful thing I've ever done.  Waking up at 5am is not always delightful, and spending over two hours transporting to and from school is tiresome.  But when it comes down to it, there are many things to smile about and be grateful for.  These are the little things (Miami style):

Remembering to put coffee in the coffeemaker the night before, so all I have to do is turn it on in the morning.
Arriving to the train station just in time to catch the last bus home (even if I have to run!)
Eating lunch every day with my wonderful group of completely sassy yet sweet 6th and 7th grade girls.
Experiencing the look on each of their faces when they try hummus and pita chips for the first time...
Co-workers who never fail to make me laugh.
Days spent laying on the beach reading a good book I've been waiting all week to finally have time to open.
Dinners that include more than one food group.
Surprise Dunkin Donuts from your boss (just because it's Tuesday).
Hearing one of your ESOL students say 'good morning miss' instead of hola/buenos dias because he feels just confident enough to use a bit of English that day.
Trader Joe's opening its first store in South Florida.
Laughing every time I hear someone mention it's getting cold... (still 80 degrees)
Receiving a card from my lovely friends back in MN filled with leaves and being able to smell the autumn air.

Happy November!  I'm choosing to be thankful for the little (and BIG) things this month, even if I have to try reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyyyyy hard!

A lovely sunset seen on an evening walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment