Perspective: easy to talk about, especially in retrospect. I am reminded of that daily and needed to give myself an extra reminder yesterday. After a very frustrating (and failed) attempt at trying to buy a certain pair of cheap, all black shoes to wear to school as part of my uniform, I read that the Metromover had been completely closed because someone had been struck and killed by one of the trains that evening.
I'm not going to pretend that I was instantly able to snap out of my "poor me I can't find shoes and I've been awake since 4:30am" mentality. I was however forced, or better encouraged, towards a wider perspective and to reconsider the seriousness of my current situation in the grand scheme of my life.
My partner teacher at school said something today that really struck me in regards to perspective. She previously worked in a lab at a hospital and still works there occasionally. She mentioned how working there has really taught her perspective, in that every day she would see people so very ill and dying and constantly be reminded how she had her health and her life to be grateful for, even in the very bad times. So this is going to be my challenge for the year, and many more to come: balancing and maintaining a perspective that leads me to a fuller, richer life focused on what is truly important.
Easier said than done?
No comments:
Post a Comment